Most questions you have have about Sony FS5 features are addressed in the following video:
The following information comes from Sony’s Official FS5 Press Release:
Sony Expands Large Sensor Camera Family with PXW-FS5 4K Compact Super35 Camcorder
(via Sony Blog) Park Ridge, N.J., September 11, 2015 — Sony is expanding its line of large sensor 4K technologies with the PXW-FS5 compact Super 35mm camcorder. The new model rounds out Sony’s line of 4K professional cameras, filling an important niche between cameras like Sony’s PXW-FS7 and the NEX-FS700, or complementing Sony’s new consumer α7R II and α7S II models.
As a companion camera or on its own, the PXW-FS5 fits a range of applications, including documentary and independent filmmaking, online content creation, student film projects and even DSLR users looking to “step up.”
“We are continually developing and growing the most complete, fully featured line of cameras for every level of production, and the new FS5 model is the missing piece our customers need,” said Francois Gauthier, Director of Digital Imaging, Sony’s Professional Solutions Americas. “Sony has the right production tool for any application – HD, 2K or 4K – and for any budget.”
The PXW-FS5 is ergonomically designed for versatile, hand-held shooting. The lightweight body has excellent weight balance, ensuring reliability and all-day comfort. It can be used in almost any location, even airborne when mounted on a drone. A variety of shooting angles is possible with the one-touch rotatable grip. All key controls are at the user’s fingertips, allowing for shooting flexibility and instant switching between low or high angle shooting.
Capable of 4K XAVC high-definition shooting, the camera’s Super35 Exmor™ CMOS sensor incorporates 11.6 million pixels and 8.3 million effective pixels. The high sensitivity and large size of the sensor delivers background defocus, increased low-light sensitivity and lower image noise. High-quality imagery is further ensured by high frame rate cache recording at 10-bit 4:2:2 Full HD and a high frame rate of up to 240 fps, in 8 second bursts, which makes 1/10 times Super Slow Motion possible without sacrificing bit depth or loss of image quality.
The PXW-FS5 is the first Super35 camcorder to feature built-in electronic variable ND filters, further expanding the depth of field representation by the large-format sensor and enabling flexible exposure control.
The compact power zoom E lens PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS (SELP18105G), provided in the PXW-FS5K kit model enables zoom operation with one hand.
Integrating easily with other camera lenses, Sony’s α Mount System offers compatibility with both Sony and third-party lenses. The PXW-FS5’s E-mount can take virtually any lens, such as SLR lenses via an adapter, as well as Sony’s E-mount and A-mount lenses, ensuring the camera adapts to multiple environments. Sony’s α Mount System and its enhanced interfaces include 3G-SDI, HDMI output and dual SD card slots. Also equipped with Wi-Fi and a wired LAN terminal, the PXW-FS5 features enhanced network functions such as file transfer and streaming transmission. A planned future firmware update will provide RAW output.
Key features of the PXW-FS5:
Flexible handheld shooting with a lightweight body
The lightweight (1 lb., 13.2 oz.) body with excellent weight balance ensures comfortable handheld shooting as well as an easy fit with a drone or gimbal. The one-touch rotatable grip enables instant switching between low or high angle shooting. Shooting parameters can be changed with one hand even during recording by using the multi-functional grip. The zoom can be operated similarly with a single hand. The detachable handle, one-touch rotatable grip and flexible LCD panel support various shooting styles.
4K shooting and 240 fps high-speed shooting
The camera is equipped with an 11.6 million pixel Super35 Exmor™ CMOS Sensor, enabling 4K XAVC long GoP high-definition video shooting. It is the world’s first Super35 camcorder with a built-in electronic variable ND filter, supporting linear control from 1/4ND to 1/128ND and further expanding the depth of field representation. 1/10 times Super Slow Motion reproduction is possible through 10-bit 4:2:2 full HD 240fps High Frame Rate, with no sensor cropping. Low light capabilities and background defocus are heightened by the high sensitivity and large sensor size. 14 stops of latitude in exposure deliver strong grayscale rendition without crushing shadows or blowing out light details.
Variety of shooting applications and rich network functions
The camera’s interfaces include 3G-SDI, 4K HDMI output, MI shoe, dual SD card slots, Wi-Fi and wired LAN terminal, supporting various system configurations. The Clear Image Zoom feature allows users to zoom in at up to 2x, even with a fixed focal length lens.
Here is a beauty video that demonstrates the output from FS5:
Sony FS5 Features:
- Super35 Exmor® CMOS image sensor with 14 stops of dynamic range and 8.4 million effective pixels (16:9).
- 360° rotating, detachable Smart Grip (supplied) can be used with industry-standard rosette, Sony’s FS7 telescoping arm and third-party accessories, all sold separately.
- Up to 960 fps Super Slow Motion with high sensitivity; burst mode recording at up to 240 fps in HD, 480 fps at reduced resolution and 960 fps at reduced-resolution Center Crop; recording time varies by frame rate.
- On-board 4K recording at 3840 x 2160 resolution with Sony’s XAVC™ Long codec.
- Outboard RAW recording as a future option (details to be announced).
- S-Log3, S-Log2 and S-Gamut3.Cine help retain highlights and extended shadow detail with accurate color reproduction. See our “Working with slog3.cine Footage” for more.
- 3.5-inch LCD monitor (viewable area, measured diagonally) flexibly adapts to shooting style and angle; mounts on three locations on the handle and six locations on the camera body.
- Sony’s E-Mount system compatible with E-Mount servo zooms, manual zooms and primes; A-Mount lenses (via Sony’s adapters); PL mount lenses (via third-party adapters); and other SLR and rangefinder lenses (via third-party adapters).
- Continuously variable Neutral Density filter, a first in Super35 imaging, enables you to blur the background even in sunlight; also offers conventional presets at 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64 ND.
- Clear Image Zoom uses advanced image processing to double the effective focal length of your lens; a 12x zoom effectively becomes 24x.
- Center Scan mode captures the center of the image at Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. Not only does this provide an effective 2x zoom with 35mm glass, but it also enables you to mount 16mm PL lenses via third-party adapters.
- Face Detection AF and Focus Magnifier assist in run & gun shooting; help to maintain critical focus, a particular advantage in 4K capture.
- XAVC™ Long recording for 4K (3840 x 2160 at up to 30p) and Full HD (1920 x 1080 at up to 60p); advanced encoding technology retains superb picture quality at affordable bit rates (up to 50 Mbps in HD, up to 100 Mbps in 4K); beautiful 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale in Full HD.
- XAVC proxy recording captures frame-accurate lightweight proxy video suitable for faster file transfers and convenient file sharing.
- AVCHD® recording for compatibility with legacy editing systems.
- Simultaneous/Individual Recording enables you to capture backup recordings on the second media card.
- Wireless Android® and iOS® remote control via the free Content Browser Mobile app.
- NFC one-touch communication with compatible wireless devices.
- Wireless streaming to compatible MPEG TS receivers and computers for convenient, remote image monitoring.
- Wireless file transfers of full-resolution assets via Wi-Fi® router to an FTP server.
- Wired LAN connection via built-in RJ-45 interface, for more robust network operations.
- Multi-Interface Shoe (MI Shoe) supports accessories including Sony’s UWP-D11 and D12 wireless mics and HVL-LBPC video light (all sold separately).
- 0.39-inch OLED viewfinder (viewable area, measured diagonally) with large eye cup.
- 1/4-inch screw holes on the camera top, bottom and handle accommodate third-party accessories.
- BP-U30 rechargeable battery and BC-U1 battery charger included.
- Two SD memory card slots with Memory Stick® card capability in Slot A.
- Complete interfaces include 3G-SDI, HDMI® jack, two XLR connectors, LANC remote control, USB, MI Shoe, DC input and RJ-45 Lan connector.
- Catalyst Browse software included (free download).
The PXW-FS5 is scheduled for release November 2015 and will be available in two models:
To pre-order and reserve yours today, See below:
Click the links above, call us or email us to pre-order a Sony FS5