The VENICE 2 builds upon the strength of the original VENICE with new features including a compact design, internal recording and the option for two different sensors: the newly developed full-frame 8.6K sensor or the original 6K VENICE sensor. The VENICE 2 also inherits popular features from the original VENICE including color science, Dual Base ISO and 8-stops of built-in ND filters.
A New Favorite of Cinematographers
“The dynamic range is the best I’ve ever seen in my life. It was really cool to be able to go out and shoot some of the first aerials. The resolution, dynamic range – I’m just blown away.”
Curt Morgan, Emmy award-winning filmmaker
“I’m used to using the original VENICE and I would say, I am a pretty much an advocate of that camera. The opportunity to use VENICE 2 is actually a really fantastic one. This is the first time I’ve ever used that larger sensor, the 8.6K and we were lucky enough to get some anamorphic lenses that were really set for the full cinematic effect that really utilized that whole sensor. The ISOs have been bumped up so that enables me to shoot at a higher speed in the low light levels which is something what wasn’t really an option before, and that’s the big gain for me.”
Rob Hardy, BSC, ASC
Paired with a newly-developed 8.6 K (8640 x 5760) full-frame CMOS image sensor, the VENICE 2 offers excellent image quality with 16 stops of total latitude to capture beautiful images with excellent color separation and shadow detail. The camera also inherits its color science from the original VENICE which is highly regarded for its natural skin tones. The VENICE 2 8K CineAlta camera has a unique dual base ISO of 800/3200 which allows filmmakers to capture incredibly clean, film-like images under a wide range of lighting conditions. It supports everything from full-frame, full-frame anamorphic to Super35 all at a minimum of 4K resolution, resulting in an outstanding and versatile camera system for cinematographers and productions. The 6K sensor block (not included) can be swapped into the VENICE 2 in the field, avoiding a trip to a service facility. This can be useful for capturing higher frame rates.
New VENICE 2 Functions
- Zoom to Fit Monitoring crops the viewing outputs (VF/SDI/HDMI) to the desired aspect ratio while recording the full frame of the sensor for VFX and potential post-production reframing
- Apply LUTs to your 4K or HD (6G/1.5G-SDI) output
- LUT/ART/CDL file import via Ethernet/Wi-Fi
- ASC-CDL values control via Ethernet/Wi-Fi allows you to have LUT and CDL values applied by the camera using either an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi via a connected computer using a GUI; CDL values are now embedded in clip metadata
- VENICE 2 supports control from an RM/RCP panel that can be used with broadcast camcorders and system cameras. When connected, ITU-R Rec. 2020 color space and HLG are selectable, and adjustment of various paint parameters is supported
Free yourself from an external recorder for raw and high-data-rate recording, as the VENICE 2 is capable of recording directly to AXS cards internally. Featuring two AXS card slots, you can capture X-OCN and 4K ProRes (both 17:9 and 16:9) internally and use relay recording for virtually unlimited recording time. Additionally, the VENICE 2 supports cache recording and has twice the cache memory as the original VENICE camera.
The VENICE 2 can exceed the BT.2020 color space, with a color range wider than DCI-P3. This means it can beautifully reproduce the true color of the scene in front of your lens. The camera also provides a broad palette in the grading suite, using the established workﬂow of Sony’s S-Log3 and Ultra-wide Color space, S-Gamut3. Plus, VENICE 2’s 6K and 8K sensors match colors almost perfectly, making your grading experience even better.
Built-In ND Filters
The servo-controlled 8-step mechanical ND filter mechanism built into the camera chassis offers a massive ND range from Clear (no ND) and 0.3 (1/2 = 1 stop) to 2.4 (1/256 = 8 stops). The servo control also greatly increases VENICE’s flexibility when being controlled remotely on drones, cranes, or in an underwater housing.
- Sony VENICE 2 with 8.6K Image SensorCall for Price
- Sony VENICE 2 with 6K Image SensorCall for Price
- AXS Card Reader w/ Thunderbolt 3 Connection$3,870.99
- Sony Anamorphic Permanent License for Sony VENICE 2 Camera$4,000.99
- Sony AXS 1 TB Memory Card w/ 6.6 Gbps Write Speed$4,000.99
- Sony Full-Frame License for Sony VENICE 2 Camera$4,000.99